Until now, we didn’t know close to anything about the first-person shooter mode of Star Citizen, the $59 million crowdfunded space sim game.
And even after last week’s Reddit Ask Me Anything with the primary developer on the project, there’s still a lot we don’t know and have yet to see in action.
But it at least gave us enough information to get a sense of what its vision for hijacking ships will be like in the final game. So we gathered the most important details and organized them for you below.
- The team describes the game as a tactical FPS, citing inspirations like Counter-Strike and Rainbow Six.
- The game is being built in CryEngine.
- You’ll be able to play typical FPS multiplayer modes like team deathmatch, seek and destroy, and capture and hold, as well as single-player scenarios and ship boarding in the persistent universe.
- The action will take place on ships, planets, and space stations.
- Boarding a ship will involve strategically destroying its weak points to get in.
- You’ll be able to hire other players to board and take over ships in the FPS mode from the main game. And you might find yourself fighting AI players in other people’s ships too.
- In the future, you’ll be able to play as the game’s alien species.
- It won’t have a third-person mode.
- Certain surfaces can be penetrated by projectiles.
- You can lose limbs in firefights and will need to use prosthetics.
- Gravity and pressure matter in the combat. You can break open a compressed room to send all of its contents flying out.
- The game’s cover system will work like Far Cry 3 where your character will automatically embrace walls that you’re near.
- If you’re desperate, you can fight with your fists with the game’s brawling system.
The developer gave an example of what a ship breach could look like:
“A Persistent Universe experience. I’m a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, I know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When I’m on their ship, some time later, I get out of the crate. Very quietly, I rummage around and find some goodies I like. I steal those… now I can either – A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship…. or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it.”
Weapons, armor and gadgets
- The game will have a variety of weapons, including ballistics, energy-based, air-based, radiation-based, and more.
- You’ll be able to customize weapons with attachments and different ammo types.
- There will be various gadgets like “holograms, claymore like objects, personal healing, drills for doors/vents, shields, grenades, and trip wires.”There will also be different types of armor, from light to heavy to “TITAN armor” that makes you basically into a mech.
- Weapons have iron sights and you can hold your breath for increased accuracy. You can also holster your weapon at any time.
- The primary developer, who is still unknown, that’s working on the mechanics and animations consists of about 30 people. There are multiple other studios working on it too, though.
- The alpha version is planned to be released “early next year.”
- The game will be shown at PAX Australia 2014 from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2.